Funding Opportunity for Secondary School History Teachers
The AHA/Honest History: AHA Conference Teacher Scholarship supports a secondary school History teacher to attend the annual Australian Historical Association Conference to promote engagement between History teachers and the broader historical community.
Funding for this scheme is made possible by a generous donation from Honest History which supports balanced and honest history writing in Australia. The scholarship will be available for the 2019 and 2020 AHA conferences.
Applications for 2020 close 5.30pm, TBC June 2020.
The scholarship, valued at $400, provides financial assistance to facilitate attendance at the AHA annual conference. The money is to be used towards assisting with registration costs, travel and accommodation.
Monies will be paid to the recipient by electronic funds transfer or cheque upon their meeting of the Terms and Conditions.
- The Scholarship will be given to a secondary school History teacher who has little or no institutional support to cover their attendance at the annual AHA conference.
- Applicants must reside in Australia.
- No gender or age criteria are applied.
- The 2019 scholarship recipient cannot reapply in 2020.
Terms and conditions
The scholarship will support the recipient to attend the conference.
Within 3 months of the conference, the recipient will provide evidence of responding to their experiences in one of the following formats:
(a) writing a report or article on what they have learned (historical ‘content’ or ‘skills’) from different papers for use in their teaching, explaining curriculum links at appropriate year levels
(b) providing an outline of a strong example of classroom practice that includes ‘content’ or ‘skills’ derived from papers and, if applicable, an outline of how their students responded
(c) writing a report on what they learned from the conference and how that was offered to the benefit of History teacher peers within their school or at an external teacher professional learning event
(d) publishing in an HTA journal.
- Complete the application form.
- Send their completed application form as email attachment to the AHA Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of TBC June 2020 (subject line AHA/Honest History: AHA Conference 2020 Teacher Scholarship).
- Provide the name of one telephone referee with institutional details, and best telephone and email contact.
All applications will be acknowledged by email. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email.
Applications will be assessed by a panel nominated by the AHA Executive Committee. Late applications will not be accepted. The decision of the AHA will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into or feedback given.
The closing date for the first round of the award is 5.30pm, TBC 10 June 2020.